1) Some leaders are born with inherent gifts or skills that make them leaders. Some leaders are made over time with a journey that includes experience and possible mentoring in some fashion. Some leaders are a combination of both. All have different styles and methods for how they lead.
2) Although education can be helpful but educational lettering following one’s name does not guarantee wisdom (the application of acquired knowledge) nor do educational achievements ensure integrity. Also, please throw in common sense to the mix. People can rationalize or justify most anything but doing the right thing for themselves and an organization seems to be a challenge for some highly educated people.
3) Leaders are transparent. There is no hidden agenda. There are no secrets. Leaders do not play escape and evade with people in their organization or outside their organization. They are open and honest about all aspects of their work.
4) Leaders consider everyone with whom they come in contact as important. They forgive easily. They encourage different points of view even from ardent criticizers for out of this group can come some of the most ardent and loyal followers.
5) Leaders do not bear grudges nor do they take criticism personally. What matters most is the success of the organization but the cost will never include a disregard for the people who devote their time and energy to the organization. Integrity is never compromised.
How many leaders do you know that fulfill these requirements?